I always take it for granted that everyone always knows what to wear! Or maybe it’s that I always end up wearing the same things. Maybe I need to go shopping.
For those of you who have more than one choice in their wardrobe you might like to consider these tips when putting together your outfit for a portrait or engagement session.
11 Clothing Tips For Portrait Sessions
Beautiful and memorable portraits are carefully planned but we can only accomplish this with your help. Please take a few moments to discuss clothing and colours with your party. Here are some key points to remember when deciding what to wear.
* Keep it simple.
* Solid colours are best. Try to avoid large or bold patterns and bright colours; they draw attention away from the face.
* Long sleeve dresses and shirts are recommended. They draw attention away from the arms and focus it on the face. Short sleeves are acceptable for infants etc.
* Co-ordinate your attire from head to toe. Carefully select appropriate shoes and stockings as we may take some full-length portraits.
* Darker clothing tends to minimize body size and lighter tones tend to emphasize body size
* Necklines are important. A vee or scoop neck is best if your neck is short and your face is full. A turtle neck or high necked top is more flattering if your neck is longer and your face is slender.
* Wear something you are comfortable in. If the portrait location is outside, consider footwear and outer garment choice. Note; coats can be kept on between photos, removing them only when necessary.
* Dress everyone in the same style of clothing. Do not mix casual and formal attire.
* Keep the tonal range of clothing within the group the same. Do not mix light and dark values. Save patterns for accent items like scarves and ties.
* White or light pastel clothing, shoes, stockings trousers, or dresses look best in portraits taken against white or light background save stronger colours or patterns for accent items.
* To ensure a successful portrait you might like to bring along several additional clothing choices.